Thursday, July 18, 2013

Those 5 Towns on the Coast

For any of you that have been to the magnificent towns of Cinque Terre know that they cannot be described in any amount of words, but I will try (mostly in pictures.)


On my first night in Florence, at dinner with Kimmie and her friends, they told me I NEEDED to  go with them that Sunday to Cinque Terre.  I said yes, and signed up on my phone at dinner for this Bus2Alps trip.  I trusted them and figured it would be a good way to make friends since I just arrived. Well, little did I know, everyone on my program would end up going with me and it became one massive trip on our first weekend. 

Those of you who read my post about Pisa know that I was not happy about the disorganization of the day so the fact that this trip was planned for me was a perfect start.  

Side Note: This was my first experience with Bus2Alps and it wasn't my last.  They make trips so easy and their experience makes each day trip effortless.  It was the perfect way to see this beautiful area. 
    If you are in Florence, Rome or elsewhere in Europe check them out they have a special place in my heart because of their amazing staff and their need to have a good time. Bus2Alps Website!

Alright, back to business.  Enough shameless plugging for Dan, Sarah and the rest of the crew, lets talk about the trip. We arrived at the train station at 7am which was incredibly early after our day in Pisa. (Pisa Refresher) We took a bus to the La Spezia train station where we took the train that connected all the towns.  

For those of you who aren't aware, Cinque Terre is a series of 5 towns on the Italian Coast in the Liguria region, connected by train, boat or walking path (Car's do not have access between them.) And they are truly beautiful as they are scattered on the sides of cliffs. 

We arrived at the train station in the second town, Manarolo to take a quick stop to swim and do a little cliff jumping.
The view from the Train Station in Manarolo
It was our first glimpse of the towns and I immediately knew I was in a special place.  These towns are so separated from the rest of the world, and their beauty is enough to draw in thousands of people a day. You walk down the narrow one street town and see the native Italians that inhabit these places and I immediately was envious of their lifestyle, it was so simple yet surrounded by such beauty.


                                                                                     

I jumped right in to the water and my friend Matt captured these pictures of me soaking in the Ligurian Sea. I am very lucky to have friends that take pictures everywhere we go so I have plenty of pictures to document my adventures! Thanks Matt!

It was so amazing to look up and see the town from the water and just be in the moment.  I was beyond happy during this whole day, how could you not be!



Vernazza from the water looking out
After our quick pit stop, we hopped back on the train and headed to the 4th town, Vernazza.  In Vernazza, we had a quick Panini at this cute little shop where they made the most delicious smoothies I have had in my whole life. Mainly because it was literally just fresh fruit and no additives.  The panini's were amazing too and you got to create your own, which is always my favorite. Vernazza is the town in all the Pinterest pictures (Including my picture at the beginning of the post.) It is literally THAT beautiful. (Excuse the excessive use of pictures.) From Vernazza, we hiked from this town to the 5th town, Monterosso.  They said this hike was challenging but I was thinking in my head, I am an athlete, this can't be that bad.  Well, I was wrong... even the most in shape people were struggling during this hike.  But it was AWESOME! And soooo worth every bead of sweat. The view from the trail was pure sea views and I couldn't get enough.
Our Hiking Crew: Kimmie, Steven, Billy, Phil and Matt
At the top, I couldn't help but show my Bruin Pride so Kimmie and I did an 8 clap over looking the Ligurian Sea. If I can figure out how to upload it, I will add it to the blog!

After the 2 hour hike, you descend onto the 5th town of Monterosso. I have never been so happy to be in the water in my whole life. We jumped right in and just floated and enjoyed the moment.  There is a lot of floating going on in these seas because they are full of salt which adds to the buoyancy (my science lesson for the day).

For the rest of the day we laid on the beach, bought goggles and soaked up the sun. Kimmie and I made excellent use of our goggles and found starfish, baby fish and even flounder from the Little Mermaid! It was a near perfect day.
Kimmie and I with our goggles and smoothies!
I didn't think the day could get much better but the Bus2Alps Leaders recommended that we try the Pesto before we leave.  I am definitely not one to turn down Pesto so we walked into this crammed little shop and got Focaccia alla Pesto and it was most definitely the best pesto I have ever experienced.  The color was so perfect, the Focaccia was warm and we were sitting and eating it while overlooking the water.
That Monday I would learn about Pesto and apparently, I will never eat pesto like this anywhere in the world. The Liguria region produces the best pesto because of their location: proximity to the sea as well as the soil from the mountains.  It creates a perfect color and is incredible in taste. 

Yup, the day was perfect. I am coming back before I leave Italy for the view and maybe some Pesto.


No comments:

Post a Comment