Monday, July 8, 2013

Never Bite an Italian Police Officer

You might laugh at the title but this is what I learned at Orientation. Biting an Italian Police Officer will get you deported.  I wasn't planning on it but now I know for sure not to!

LdM Orientation took place at the gorgeous Odom Theatre. We learned about the customs and laws and anything else that pertained to our stay in Italy.  It is never entertaining but definitely helped learn a few things.

Top 6 Things I didn't know about Italy before I got here
1. You don't need to tip. The price given is the price you pay
2. You are allowed to carry alcohol in public but you cannot act intoxicated in public or they will arrest you.
3. If you get in any trouble with the law as a foreigner, you will be deported
4. On Monday's things are closed, it is their day of rest (So plan accordingly)
5. Smiling/Eye Contact with an Italian male shows interest.  If it is unwanted, keep your head down (It is not considered rude here) 
6. You pay for your water at meals.  If you are cheap and ask for tap water, they look at you funny but you will save some money. 

After my nap on Friday we had a welcome dinner for LdM students.  No one really knew what to expect but it was our first time to socialize as a group and we got free food so who wouldn't go. I went with some of the girls in my apartment.  We walked into this place and it was stunning.  The chandeliers let alone were jaw dropping pieces of art. Check them out below and get a glimpse of the event.
The event was really cool for me.  Most kids came with other people they knew so it finally gave me a chance to meet some new friends.  I am lucky because my roommates came with a large group from school so they included me in their group (thank goodness!) which meant making friends wasn't too difficult. 

I mentioned my roommates all attend Columbia College and a majority of the people I met here are all here making a film with them.  Each of them represent a different part of the movie process (I don't think I realized how much work is behind the film.) I have gotten the opportunity to learn about cinematography, set design and that there is such a thing as a set chef (which they said would be my job!)

The night went well, we socialized, had delicious (free) food and decided that on our first night out we would go out and hang out some more. As a group (of about 15) no one had a clue as to where we were going so we ended up walking to the river, walking to the other side, realizing nothing was going on over there and walking back over the Ponte Vecchio.  This was my first time seeing the bridge since I arrived and it was awesome to see the place at night. 
My view of the Ponte Vecchio at night from another bridge. 
We finally ended up (still with no where to go) following the adventures of my previous night out.  We checked out Astor and since we were such a large group, we brought fun everywhere we went.  It was nice to be able to sit and talk to everyone at different times and find out what brought each of them to Florence.  Along with the Columbia students, 2 girls from Kansas University joined our group. They are here together and we also excited to have joined an amazing group of LdM students. I joked with everyone that I ended up tagging along to their fun and found such a great group of people and now they were stuck with me.  

We ended up back at the Lions Fountain and had a great night just hanging out and exploring Florence.   The picture (above) is some of the crew in front of the Duomo. I feel so lucky to have found such a fun group from the beginning. I know we will have an amazing summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment