Friday, July 5, 2013

Ciao Firenze!

I made it!

What a crazy two days of travel. I am beginning to think a blanket of clouds covers the world right now and that whenever I arrive in a city, it will immediately rain 20 min later (This has proved true in 3 cities thus far.)

The flight from Dusseldorf to Florence was one of the most beautiful I have ever been on.  We flew over the Swiss Alps, the lakes of Switzerland and finally over the Italian countryside and landing with a beyond perfect view of the Duomo and the entire city of Florence.


While in the airport a man approached me about the internet and began giving me advice about Italy.  We had a nice conversation and I got back to my browsing. Little did I know, we would be sitting next to each other.

This man began to confirm everything my brother Lane told me before I arrived (which I refused to believe.) This man, also a soldier in the US Army could have fooled me and told me he was a tour guide (He was that good.) He gave me some awesome information and also told me not to sleep during the plane ride because I would miss the incredible views of the Alps. I tried to capture some shots but A picture just doesn't do this view justice.
I have been so lucky to meet such awesome people on the way that have definitely helped ease the transition and shed light to some incredible experiences to be had.

I made it to my apartment but finding it was a little tricky.  In Florence they have numbers that are red and ones that are black.  The black ones are for apartments and the red are for business, seems simple enough right?  Well I didn't entirely read the orientation packet that my mom urged me to read so I was left so confused when I walked up to what I thought was my apartment and found it to be a little cafe instead.  The nice elderly lady informed me that I actually live next door and I am sure she got a nice laugh about it.   

My apartment is awesome.  I have 7 other roommates and we all have our own rooms.  There are 4 bathrooms and 2 kitchens which makes for a very large place.  This is the view outside my apartment. We also have this electronic door to our place and it lights up when you place a magnetic key to it.  Kind of futuristic for Italy but nonetheless extremely cool. My roommates are all so nice.  5 of the 7 attend Columbia Art School in Chicago so they know each other and the girls downstairs but they are so welcoming and are all studying different things in Florence so it should be very diverse and informative. I now also have a place to stay if I end up in Chicago. 
It is a cute little street about 4 blocks from the Duomo and a block from the Mercato Centrale.

Once I got settled in, I took a much needed nap! I then went and met Kimmie Connor who is also studying here for a night of celebrating America. I will dedicate another post to that because it was an amazing night!

I am trying to do my best to keep with everything that is going on, but since I don't want to sit at the computer all day, the posts may be a couple days behind. 

Hope everyone had a safe 4th!  


No comments:

Post a Comment