Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Let the Games Begin!

Happy 4th of July America! 


I have only been abroad for about an hour but I have already learned some valuable lessons: 

1. Free WiFi is like gold, when you find it, count your blessings and use as much as you can. 
2. All Americans are in the same position so finding people to talk to, is not a challenge. 
3. Don't get stuck with your airplane TV on a different language because the flight attendants don't know how to switch it back. 

I am hoping to keep an ongoing list of lessons I have learned, elaborate on some stories and keep people informed on my journey through Europe for the next 7 weeks. 

Here is the Update: I am currently sitting in the airport in Dusseldorf, Germany awaiting my final flight to Florence.  Getting here has been no easy task and has required the use of 4 airplanes thus far. On the way over, I got to spend a night in New York and catch up with some friends (Ariel and Trent) and stay with my cousin Meredith.  I was able to buy some things I forgot and cut off two inches of my hair (still sad about this one.) I cherish every second in New York so it was relaxing before this long trip across the pond. 

As I boarded my flight to Germany I was hoping for someone nice to sit next to, no crying kids and the ability to sleep through the night so I can begin to start adjusting to Italy time.  (It is 9 hours from California if anyone was wondering) The guy that sat down next to me was incredibly nice and was also studying abroad. He is from Nashville, TN and is staying in Germany. Although I wanted to sleep, talking to someone in the same situation was comforting and he helped me translate my devil TV when it decided to stay in German.  He also laughed at me for watching the movie Chasing Mavericks (a surf movie which I HIGHLY recommend) because he said I was being a typical California native.  If only he knew it is not the case, I don't surf but it's ok he can continue to believe we all learn to surf as children.  However, there were very loud crying babies (yes, there were two!) behind me but fortunately fell asleep pretty quickly. After dinner, I got my wish and slept until they served breakfast which made the flight seem shorter than the one from LAX--> JFK. I opened my shade and saw the most beautiful sunrise over Ireland.  I only knew it was Ireland from the map on my TV because the cloud layer was so thick.  Nonetheless it was beautiful and my first European sunrise, and I am hoping not my last. (Don't worry Dad it will be because I will wake up that early not just be going to bed!) 

I safely made it to Germany and in search of WiFi which I found... for free!  I think its comedic and pathetic how dependent I am on it.  

First goal of the trip:  Understanding it is ok to disconnect, the world continues and I will be fine without it. 

With that being said, I need to go find my flight and pray that there are some signs in English in this airport because I have found none so far. Keep checking back and I will be doing updates (hopefully daily) on the adventure. 

Let the Games Begin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment