Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Maddi and the Art School Kids

So I have talked a lot about my friends here and there in previous posts but these people around me are shaping my journey in a way I could have never imagined.

I came into this program with not only no previous experience in Italy but also no knowledge with film and event art school for that matter.  You may wonder why that matters, well let me tell you. Almost everyone that I hang out with every single day here in Florence is here to make a movie for their film program.

I had dinner this week with two of the guys, Tim and Matt, and we were talking about Football and I was getting a kick out of the fact that they didn't follow or know much about it. I only laugh because this is such a huge part of my life at home.  I am surrounded by athletes on a daily basis and everyone is very into sports.  To meet people with other hobbies and passions is so interesting and a way for me to learn a lot!
Mirror pictures with Tim while Cooking Dinner
I know this sounds very stereotypical and high school group like, but by hanging out with people that share a passion that is art, is helping me to see the world in a different way. They appreciate the city in a way I probably would never have seen it.  I haven't placed art as a high importance in my life or education but I am in the Renaissance city so I better start opening my eyes before I miss it all. Culture is passed up sometimes in LA in the fast paced culture of it all.

Sports has been the center of my life for as long as I can remember.  I can explain to you the game of softball, football, basketball etc. in great depth but give me a video camera and I know nothing more than pointing and shooting. Not only am I learning about food, a new culture, but also the amount of work a movie takes to make.

Well, I am doing my best to learn everything I can from all of these people I am around each day. I joke with terms like raw or magic hour but in all seriousness, it is giving me a new appreciation for the importance of light, the pristine nature of these buildings and the silent interactions between people speaking different languages.  None of that can be seen if you have an ipod in your ears, head down, and speed walking to your destination. They have taught me to take pride in each shot I take and to see the magic everywhere around us.  Everyone has a different eye and to it is important to appreciate everyone's talents.
Capturing magic hour in Venice

These people have truly become my family and I am so thankful to have met them even if they won't let me star in their movie (Something about not looking like a little Italian boy.) But in all seriousness, each person brings a different part to the group and it would not be the same without each and every one of them. Whether they are a cinematographer, audio person, set designer or director, they all amaze me with their skill and talent (and make me super jealous of it all.)
Tim, Steve, Matt, Alex, CJ and I in front of the Duomo

The Crew at dinner 





















I also now have a million places to stay in Chicago so at least I know where my next trip is and I have a million pictures of me all around Europe thanks to these clowns.  I should probably be paying them for all the work I ask them to do for me. I am hoping I leave this beautiful place with a better understanding of the picture perfect world around me in more ways than just what I see with my eyes. I cannot thank these people enough for enriching my eyes and sharing some of their craft with me.  If you guys ever want to learn how to play softball, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Maddi!!! Yay!!! Soak up every second! And keep writing! You'll appreciate it so much later on.

    ReplyDelete