Monday, June 29, 2015

Happiness


What truly makes someone happy? How is happiness defined if it varies between people?

In my opinion happiness shifts throughout ones lifetime.  It shifts depending on situation. It shifts depending on age.  It shifts depending on outlook. 

At the place I am at in my life, I still have so much to learn, so much left to see, and so much to accomplish.  However, I have never been so happy. But it is not a straight giddy feeling all the time.  It is being content being alone, being in my own skin, and being ok with the choices that I am making. 

Granted, happiness is objective. Some people are not happy being alone.  I was one of those people until I was forced into a situation here where I had no choice to be alone.  Prior to coming here, I got anxiety by myself in public. I didn't enjoy eating alone, showing up somewhere alone, or even walking alone. Kinda sounds crazy right? Well, I am an extrovert to my core and I get happy by being with people.  I love my alone time in my bed or at home but when I am out, I felt the need to be around people. I used to get upset being alone.  That was just where I was in my life. When I was happy I was with people.

Traveling this far away, alone, was a huge challenge for me. Of course I knew I could do it, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be.  I worried about making friends, enjoying my time, but also doing all the things I wanted to while I was in Italy.

When people are making friends for a short period of time, most of the time it is situational.  You meet someone once, you get along and then they become part of the group you are hanging out with.  Due to my living situation, I got lucky and met a group of people that knew each other.  The only downside was that they all had class in the afternoon and I had class in the mornings.  That meant, every afternoon I had a choice, I could sit in my bed and wait for them to get home OR I could live my life and explore this beautiful city.
Beyond Gorgeous! 

It started on day 1, no one had arrived yet and I was starving.  I had two options, I could suck it up and eat alone (with no Wifi to keep me entertained) or I would starve.  So I went and had my first lunch alone.  I do admit I was not very happy in this moment.  But each day, I continue to branch out a little farther.  I have made a fun little game for myself to discover the best panini in Florence.  So a couple times a week in the afternoon, I look up a new place and go try it. I have had so much fun doing this and I have tried some amazing places (which I will recommend to anyone interested.) I have also met some amazing people by doing so.  Being in a place with no connection through my phone makes me lift my head and have conversations with the people around me. This is one of the biggest lessons I learned here in Florence but also one that will be so important for the rest of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment